W. Bruce Baird
Mr. Baird concentrates his practice in the areas of healthcare law, commercial litigation and products liability.
In connection with his healthcare practice, Mr. Baird has represented owners and operators of hospitals, nursing homes and acute care facilities in multiple jurisdictions including Kentucky, West Virginia and Indiana. Mr. Baird has handled cases covering numerous issues in the health care field such as medical negligence, inadequate staffing, resident abuse, state licensing and compliance and HIPAA related questions.
As a commercial litigator Mr. Baird has represented local and regional businesses, insurers and banks in a variety of cases including fraud, lender liability, breach of fiduciary duty, and trademark infringement.
In connection with his products liability practice, Mr. Baird has represented many Fortune 500 and international companies in both federal and state court actions throughout the United States, including Puerto Rico. Mr. Baird’s products liability experience covers a wide range of industries, including petrochemical, consumer appliances, building materials, commercial explosives and home furnishings.
- Representation of nursing homes in actions in which physical abuse and mental abuse by nursing home employees has been alleged.
- Representation of regional bank in actions involving floor planning loans and lender liability issues.
- Representation of acute care hospitals in actions involving alleged multiple violations of the applicable standard of care.
- Representation of a national nursing home chain in a negligence action involving alleged deliberate understaffing by the facility owners.
- Representation of local and regional banks regarding fidelity bond claims.
- Representation of petrochemical raw material suppliers in a multi-million dollar lawsuit arising out of a multiple death hotel fire.
- Representation of electrical device manufacturers for deaths and injuries resulting from the alleged malfunction of circuit breakers, duplex outlets and other related electrical products.
- Representation of a Fortune 500 household appliance manufacturer in connection with serial litigation spawned by an alleged manufacturing defect in over 100,000 appliance units.
- Representation of an explosive manufacturer arising out of the misfire of detonating cord at a rock quarry.
- Representation of a petroleum/crude oil producer in an action involving the explosion of a crude oil storage tank which resulted in the death of four children.
- Representation of a multinational explosives/chemical manufacturer arising out of the terrorist bombing of the A.P. Murrah Building in Oklahoma City in 1995.
These and other similar representations have cause Mr. Baird to become knowledgeable in numerous areas, including nursing home standards and operating procedures, elder care issues, fire/explosive forensic investigations, explosive physics and reconstruction, hazardous material handling and regulations, metallurgy, ergonomics and human factor analysis.
- Denison University BA, 1982
- University of Louisville, Louis D. Brandeis School of Law JD, 1986
- Health Law
- Business/Commercial Litigation
- Product Liability Litigation
- Fire and Explosion Litigation
- Long Term Health Care Litigation
- Mass Tort and Products Liability
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association