Robert L. Steinmetz
Mr. Steinmetz devotes a significant amount of his time to counseling and defending insurers regarding first-party coverage opinions and disputes, and a substantial variety of extra-contractual and bad faith claims. These cases involve both personal and commercial insurance policies. He has represented insurance clients in prosecuting declaratory judgment actions involving both coverage disputes and fraudulent claims. He has also represented insureds in insurer liquidation matters.
Mr. Steinmetz represents defendants in personal injury and wrongful death cases.
Mr. Steinmetz also devotes significant time to handling ERISA litigation cases for health and welfare benefit plans.
During the 1980’s and 90’s, Mr. Steinmetz represented banks in lender liability and fraud actions arising out of the deregulation of the savings and loan industry. Most of these actions involved large commercial loan transactions.
Mr. Steinmetz has participated in numerous appellate cases with both reported and non-published decisions in state and federal courts, with subject areas including tort, insurance coverage, bad faith and ERISA.
Mr. Steinmetz has presented several in-house and public seminars on insurance coverage, bad faith and ERISA.
- Frost Brown Todd LLC – member until becoming a founding member of GSB in 2007
- Thompson & Knight, P.S.C. – Practiced in the Trial Section of this well-respected Dallas firm prior to joining Frost Brown Todd.
- University of Louisville, Louis D. Brandeis School of Law JD, 1983
- University of Louisville BA, 1980
- Personal Injury and Tort Defense
- Insurance Coverage, Fraud and Bad Faith
- ERISA Litigation
- Coverage and Bad Faith
- ERISA Litigation
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Indiana Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Kentucky Super Lawyers
- State and Federal Courts of Kentucky
- State and Federal Courts of Indiana
- State and Federal Courts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for Sixth Circuit